Early Music America offers grants annually to support outreach and/or educational projects for children or adults by ensembles and individual artists.
To fund an outreach concert series in the New York City area
Lycoming Baroque Choir and Orchestra (formerly Billtown Baroque)
To help start a Baroque performance organization in the Williamsport, PA area
Salish Sea Players
To fund an outreach concert series in the Pacific Northwest with special commendation for reaching out to underserved special needs populations
Three Notch'd Road
To help fund a program of the Charlottesville Baroque Ensemble for class/workshops on the music of Thomas Jefferson
World of Harpsichord
To fund a series of hands-on class/workshops for neighborhood kids in Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York City
Past Recipients & Application Process
2013The Connecticut Early Music Society Jouyssance Early Music Ensemble
2012Ars Lyrica Houston Echoing Air Jessica Powell and the Capitol Consort of Viols MYSO (Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra) Baroque Players The Rose Ensemble
2011Catacoustic Consort Jessica Powell and the Capitol Consort of Viols Lisa Terry Seattle Historical Arts for Kids
Eligible ApplicantsOnly current EMA members are eligible to apply. Each member may submit no more than one proposal per year. EMA Outreach Grant recipients will not be eligible to apply again until the third year following their grant award. EMA Board members and staff are not eligible to apply. Grants will be awarded for projects taking place during the fiscal year (July 1-June 30) following the application deadline.
JudgingApplications are reviewed by an anonymous panel of judges and award announcements will be made on Friday, May 15th.
Award$2000 will be awarded for Medieval and Renaissance outreach projects and $2000 will be awarded for Baroque outreach projects. Outreach grant amounts range from $500-$1,000.
- Contact information
- Description of project for which grant will be used. Word Limit: 300 Max
- Estimated impact of project (i.e., number of students served, hours of contact time, etc.) Word Limit: 300 Max
- Specific dates or time range for grant use.
- Description of previous educational/outreach activities. Word Limit: 300 Max
- Project budget, showing projected revenues and expenses. Include in-kind revenues/expenses
- Biographical information on key individuals; organizational history (if relevant). Word Limit: 300 Max
Supporting Materials & Documents (while not required, any of the following may be included to support your application)
- Visual documentation of previous activities (videotape, DVD, or series of photographs)
- Brochures, programs, handouts, curriculum materials, etc. for proposed project or past activities
- Letters of recommendation