The Young Performers Festival will be held May 24-26, 2018 in Bloomington, IN.
1) Applicants must be directors of secondary, college, or university early music ensembles from schools in the US or Canada.
2) Although the term “early music” is used in different ways at different institutions, for the purposes of this Festival, it is used to denote an ensemble that fits the following criteria:
- The ensemble devotes its attention primarily to music before ca. 1750.
- The ensemble gives attention to matters of historical performance.
- Where instrumental performance is involved, the ensemble performs on period instruments OR is working towards the goal of using a period-instrument based group.
3) The majority of participants must be students enrolled in a degree program at the ensemble’s home institution. The ensemble may include non-student community participants and/or faculty members as well, as long as they are less than one-third the members in the ensemble.
4) Either the director of the ensemble or the school must be a member of EMA prior to the application deadline. We will not accept applications if your membership is not current.
Please make sure your submission materials relate to your proposed program. We understand that you may not have your final program set by the application deadline.
1) Contact Information
2) Ensemble Information that includes the following:
- A title and brief description of the Festival performance to be funded
- Number of students in the ensemble
- Number of community members in the ensemble
- A brief description of the activities of the early music ensemble and its place within its institution
3) Three recent concert programs
4) Performance recordings that meet the following requirements:
- A recording of the ensemble from live performances, with a minimum of 10 minutes and no longer than 30 minutes of total audio and/or video files.
- The recorded examples need not feature the exact same performers (it is assumed that student ensembles change somewhat in their membership from year to year) or the same proposed program, but a substantial number of the performers should be the same, and the performance should represent only the highest of quality recordings.
- Submitted performance recordings should be of the highest video or audio quality possible.
- We will only accept MP3 audio files or video files via YouTube.
- Recordings can be multiple short selections, or one long selection.
- Applicants who are uploading multiple YouTube links can include them in one document vs. uploading multiple file selections.
- List the pieces performed in the submitted recording(s)
Deadline: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 11:59pm ET
Those selected for the Young Performers Festival will be notified by December 22, 2017