The Italian Connection: the Theater of Stylus Fantasticus
February 16, 2024 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm EST$36 – $71
In the same way that chiaroscuro paintings evoke strong emotions through bold contrasts, so too does music’s Stylus fantasticus through frequent juxtapositions of free fantasy with measured counterpoint. Emanating from Italy, this theatrical style infused the spirit of the Baroque both in performance and composition, culminating here in Corelli’s famed variations on ‘‘madness.’’ Prepare for a musical rollercoaster!
- Girolamo Frescobaldi Toccata and Canzona
- Isabella Leonarda Sonata Opus 16, No. 12
- Johann Jakob Walther Sonata X, ‘‘Imitatione del Cuccu,’’ from Scherzi da violino solo
- Johann Sebastian Bach Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D Minor
- Arcangelo Corelli Sonata for Violin and Continuo in D Minor, Opus 5, No. 12, ‘‘La Follia’’
The EMA Member Concerts & Events Calendar is for time-sensitive events, such as in-person concerts, livestreaming performances or video premieres, and live online events such as webinars. Events hosted by organizations/ensembles should be posted from an EMA Organization Member account. Videos available on-demand (temporarily or permanently) should not be submitted as multi-day events. Please submit Early Music News & Press Releases about these or other activities.
Highlights from this calendar are included in the weekly E-Notes email newsletter (Tuesdays). Selections are made based on variety of event types and geographic regions.
EMA does not share non-EMA events on our social media platforms.