Early Music America offers a limited number of scholarships each year to currently enrolled students to support attendance at early-music workshops in North America.
- Early Music America membership is required of all applicants.
- Students may redeem a one-year complimentary Student membership once during their course of study.
- If you are unsure of your membership status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants must be currently-enrolled students at the time of submission.
- Award recipients are ineligible to apply until the second year following their award.
- 2022 EMA Scholarship recipients will be eligible to apply again in 2024.
- Current EMA Board and Staff members are ineligible to apply
Materials to be Submitted
- Contact Information
- Education Information
- Current school
- Degree program
- Voice or Instrument Specialization
- Expected Graduation Date
- # Years of Study
- Current instructor in your specialization
- Workshop Information
- Applicants may submit an application for up to three workshops.
- Workshop Name
- Workshop Location
- Sponsoring Organization
- Workshop Dates
- Workshop Tuition
- Estimated Cost of Food, Lodging, and Travel for workshop.
- Short Personal Essay (750 words max)
- personal essay describing your musical background, your specific experience with early music, and how the further exploration of early music performance, including attendance at the workshop(s) named above, will enhance your development as a musician
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Ideally from a teacher who can comment on your experience in early music; if that’s not possible, then from a principal music teacher who can comment on your work more broadly and suitability for early music study.
- Up to 10 minutes of video demonstrating your early music performance skills submitted as video links.
- List of works performed
Application Instructions and Information
- The online application closed on Monday, April 4, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET.
- We highly encourage applicants to submit your application several days prior to the deadline, so any issues can be resolved in a timely matter. We will not be able to accept any applications after the deadline has passed.
- Letter of recommendation should be emailed and attached as a PDF to email@example.com and MUST be submitted by Friday, April 8, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET.
- Please send only ONE letter of recommendation.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the letter of recommendation is received by EMA by the deadline.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified by Friday, April 29, 2022 and must accept by Friday, May 6, 2022.
- Scholarship recipients are required to submit a final reflection, including high resolution video or photos taken during the workshop, no more than 30 days following completion of their workshop(s) funded through this scholarship.
Scholarships of up to $1,250 will be awarded. The number of scholarships and amounts awarded will be determined by the judges based on the applicant pool received.
Questions may be sent to EMA at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Workshops listed below represent the types of North American pre-professional and professional workshops suitable for Workshop Scholarship applicants. This is not exhaustive list, and applicants should contact EMA with questions about the suitability of the proposed workshop.
- Amherst Early Music – Various programs
- American Bach Soloists ACADEMY
- Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity – Evolution of the String Quartet
- Carmel Bach Festival
- Domaine Forget Academy – Chamber Orchestra and Continuo
- Early Music in Motion Workshops (Double-Reed, Hurdy-Gurdy, and Sackbut)
- Heifetz Baroque Vocal Workshop
- Oberlin Baroque Performance Institute
- Oregon Bach Festival Berwick Academy
- Seraphic Fire Professional Choral Institute
- Singing Gregorian Chant and Renaissance Polyphony
- Summer Baroque Academy for Instrumentalists – British Columbia
- Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute
- University of Michigan Early Keyboard Institute
- Valley of the Moon Festival Apprenticeship
No scholarships awarded
Gemma Goday Díaz-Corralejo
Liz Vivian Loayaza Herrera
Aryeh Nussbaum Cohen
Lucy Fitz Gibbon
Maria Jose Romero
Salome Sandoval McNutt
James Augustine “Gus” Mercante
Yulia Van Doren
Early Music America also offers biennial scholarships to support advanced study in the early music field. Learn more.