Early Music America offers scholarships to performers at all levels of experience to support attendance at early music workshops in the United States and Canada.
We are not able to proceed with the Annual Workshop Scholarships in 2020, due to the continuing cancellation of workshops and festivals across North America. We will post an update in January 2021.
- Early Music America membership is required of all applicants.
- Historical performance students qualify for a one-year complimentary student membership. If you are unsure of your membership status, please contact EMA.
- No age limit and no requirement to be an enrolled student.
- 2019 Annual Workshop Scholarship recipients will be eligible to apply again in 2021.
Materials to be Submitted
- Contact Information
- Education Information
- Workshop Information
- Personal Essay
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Music Selections
- List of Works Performed
Application Instructions and Information
- Completed application
- Letters or Recommendation
- If you are applying for multiple workshops, you must submit a separate application for each workshop.
While the monetary amounts of these scholarships are set between $750-$1250, the number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the judges based on the applicant pool received.
Questions may be sent to EMA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We highly encourage you to submit your application several days prior to the deadline, so we can resolve any issues in a timely matter. We will not be able to accept any applications after the deadline has passed.
The Workshops listed below represent the types of North American pre-professional and professional workshops suitable for Workshop Scholarship applicants. This is not exhaustive list, and applicants should contact EMA with questions about the suitability of the proposed workshop.
- Amherst Early Music – Various programs
- American Bach Soloists ACADEMY
- Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity – Evolution of the String Quartet
- Carmel Bach Festival
- Domaine Forget Academy – Chamber Orchestra and Continuo
- Early Music in Motion Workshops (Double-Reed, Hurdy-Gurdy, and Sackbut)
- Heifetz Baroque Vocal Workshop
- Oberlin Baroque Performance Institute
- Oregon Bach Festival Berwick Academy
- Seraphic Fire Professional Choral Institute
- Singing Gregorian Chant and Renaissance Polyphony
- Summer Baroque Academy for Instrumentalists – British Columbia
- Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute
- University of Michigan Early Keyboard Institute
- Valley of the Moon Festival Apprenticeship
Gemma Goday Díaz-Corralejo
Liz Vivian Loayaza Herrera
Aryeh Nussbaum Cohen
Lucy Fitz Gibbon
Maria Jose Romero
Salome Sandoval McNutt
James Augustine “Gus” Mercante
Yulia Van Doren
Early Music America also offers biennial scholarships to support advanced study in the early music field. Learn more.