Early Music America offers scholarships annually to students at all levels of experience to support attendance at early music workshops in the United States and Canada.
2019 Scholarship Recipients
There are two types of scholarships offered for summer workshops:
Level 1 Scholarships: For students seeking to develop skills and gain experience in early music performance, typically as part of a broader musical education.
Level 2 Scholarships: For advanced students already experienced in the study and performance of early music, typically aspiring to a professional level of attainment.
Students must choose either Level 1 or Level 2 when applying for each workshop. You are not eligible to submit the same workshop application for both levels. Please note, we have two separate application forms for Level 1 and Level 2.
- Applications are open to high school, undergraduate, or graduate students.
- Students must be enrolled full-time during the spring term of the application deadline.
- Early Music America membership is required of all applicants.
- Historical performance students qualify for a one-year complimentary student membership. If you are unsure of your membership status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2018 EMA Summer Scholarships recipients will not be eligible to apply for the same level in 2019 and can re-apply again for funding in 2020. However, 2018 Level 1 recipients can apply for a Level 2 scholarship in 2019.
Materials to be Submitted
- Contact Information
- Education Information
- Workshop Information
- Personal Essay
- Letter of Recommendation
- Music Selections
- List of Works Performed in #6
Application Instructions and Information
The application period is now closed for Summer Workshop Scholarships. Please check back for updates in January 2020.
- Completed online application forms must be submitted by Monday, April 8, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET.
- Letter of recommendation must be submitted by Friday, April 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET.
- Students can submit an application for more than one workshop. If you are applying for multiple workshops, you must submit a separate application for each workshop.
- While the monetary amounts of these scholarships are set, the number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the judges based on the applicant pool received. Level 1 Scholarships: $1,000; Level 2 Scholarships: $1,250
- Award announcements will be made by Friday, May 3, 2019.
Questions may be sent to EMA at email@example.com.
We highly encourage you to submit your application several days prior to the deadline, so we can resolve any issues in a timely matter. We will not be able to accept any applications after the deadline has passed.
Suitable Summer Workshops
The Summer Workshops listed below represent the types of North American pre-professional and professional workshops suitable for Summer Workshop Scholarship applicants. This is not exhaustive list, and applicants should contact EMA with questions about the suitability of the proposed workshop.
Amherst Early Music – Baroque Academy
Amherst Early Music – The Troubadour Diaspora
American Bach Soloists ACADEMY
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity – Evolution of the String Quartet
Carmel Bach Festival
Domaine Forget Academy – Chamber Orchestra and Continuo
Heifetz Baroque Vocal Workshop
International Baroque Institute at Longy
Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College
Oberlin Baroque Performance Institute
Oregan Bach Festival Berwick Academy
Seraphic Fire Professional Choral Institute
Singing Gregorian Chant and Renaissance Polyphony – New York City
Summer Baroque Academy for Instrumentalists – British Columbia
Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute
University of Michigan Early Keyboard Institute
Valley of the Moon Festival Apprenticeship
Gemma Goday Díaz-Corralejo
Liz Vivian Loayaza Herrera
Aryeh Nussbaum Cohen
Lucy Fitz Gibbon
Maria Jose Romero
Salome Sandoval McNutt
James Augustine “Gus” Mercante
Yulia Van Doren