The Emerging Artists Showcase will be held May 24-26, 2018 in Bloomington, IN.
1) Eligible applications are of two types: either an unaccompanied soloist OR an ensemble of two or more performers
- No individual performer may be included in more than one application (e.g. Jane Smith is a member of Ensemble A and Ensemble B. Only one of the ensembles may apply with her as a member. Likewise, if Ensemble A applies, Jane may not apply separately as an unaccompanied soloist).
- An unaccompanied soloist is defined as a performance with one person on the stage. Any other configuration must apply as an ensemble including the the names of all other participants.
2) All applicants must be residents of USA or Canada. Citizenship is not required.
3) Although the term "early music" is understood in different ways, for the purposes of this Showcase, it involves the following criteria:
- Applications must feature repertory composed no later than ca. 1820.
- Due interpretive attention must be given to matters of historical performance practice.
- Performances on modern instruments will not be accepted.
4) "Emerging artists" means artists of any age who have not otherwise performed regularly in major festivals or concert series.
5) Applicants will be allotted 30-45 minutes during the Showcase performance, which will draw only from repertory specified in the application as submitted. Please do not submit selections that you do not intend to perform within your Showcase program.
6) Applicants may not apply for both the Young Performers Festival & the Emerging Artists Showcase. University-funded applicants should apply only for YPF (e.g. The EMA University Ensemble is applying for YPF. Jane Smith is a student of the EMA University and a member of the EMA University Ensemble. Jane is also a member of her own ensemble, Bach 1800. Bach 1800 is not funded by a university. Jane's ensemble, Bach 1800, is still eligible to apply to the Showcase even though EMA University Ensemble is applying for YPF and Jane will be performing with them as well).
7) Applicants do not have to be a member of EMA in order to apply.
1) Contact Information
2) Applicant Information that includes the following:
- Unaccompanied Soloists or Ensemble Name
- Number of individuals performing
- Names of all ensemble members
- Description of your level of performance
- Number of years you been performing with period instruments
- Number of concerts you have given in the past three years
- Title and description of your proposed Showcase program
- Brief description of how your group is emerging and how you see your role in the early music field
- Short bio as it should appear in the festival program book
3) Three recent concert programs
4) Performance recordings that meet the following requirements:
- A live video performance recording of the applicant with a MAXIMUM of 45 minutes in length.
- Submitted performance recordings should be of the highest video quality possible.
- Please submit your performance recordings via YouTube. Recordings from the live performance can be uploaded in shorter selections vs. one long selection. If a YouTube video contains more than one selection, please note the START time in the video of each separate selection along with the selection title.
- List the submitted piece(s) along with YouTube links.
Please note, final performances will be based on selections you submitted through this application in consultation with BLEMF.
Thank you for your interest in the Emerging Artists Showcase. The application process is now closed. Those selected for the Showcase will be notified by December 22, 2017.